As the weather outside grows colder and the days become shorter, there is nothing quite like the warm, spicy scent of cinnamon to bring a feeling of comfort and joy to the home. And there is no better way to enjoy the flavour of cinnamon than by indulging in a batch of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. These soft, fluffy rolls are bursting with cinnamon and sugar, and they are the perfect treat to enjoy on a cozy winter morning. Whether you are celebrating the holiday season with loved ones or simply looking for a tasty breakfast to enjoy on a cold day, these cinnamon rolls are sure to be a hit. So, grab your rolling pin and preheat the oven, because it’s time to get baking!
These delicious fresh cinnamon rolls with a rich, buttery dough and a gooey cinnamon filling are perfect for any holiday celebration, and they’re sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Fill Your Home With The Scent of Christmas
As the cinnamon rolls bake in the oven, the entire home is filled with the warm and festive scent of cinnamon. It is a comforting and inviting aroma that brings a sense of joy and anticipation. The smell of the cinnamon mixes with the sweet scent of sugar and the rich, buttery dough, creating a mouth-watering combination that makes everyone in the house eager to dig in. The scent of the cinnamon rolls is truly a hallmark of the holiday season, evoking memories of Christmases past and adding to the overall feeling of warmth and cheer in the home.
Tips for making cinnamon Rolls
- Place the dough in a warm place to promote rising. Yeast responds to heat and so to promote a healthy rise, place your dough somewhere warm. We often put it by the fire or by a radiator.
- Add the glaze to the rolls when they are warm, but not hot for the best consistency. If the glaze is added when the cinnamon rolls are too hot, the glaze will melt and become a wet and watery mess. If they are too cool, you’ll miss out on the creamy, oozy glaze that spreads over the cinnamon roll.
- Make ahead. The cinnamon rolls can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to a month. Reheat them in the oven and add the glaze right before serving to save you so much time. Instead of spending time in the kitchen on Christmas morning, you can enjoy time with your family.
For the cinnamon rolls dough
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm milk and yeast, and let it sit for a few minutes until the yeast has dissolved.
- Then, add the melted butter, sugar, salt, and eggs, and mix until well combined. Slowly add the flour, a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until the dough comes together into a smooth ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
For the cinnamon rolls filling
While the dough is rising, make the cinnamon filling by mixing together the following ingredients in a small bowl:
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
Assembling your cinnamon rolls
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out into a large rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Brush the melted butter over the dough, then sprinkle the cinnamon filling evenly over the top. Roll the dough up tightly into a log, and cut it into 1-inch slices.
- Place the cinnamon roll slices in a greased baking dish, and let them rise for another 30 minutes. Then, bake them in a 170c oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
Make sure you give your cinnamon rolls enough time to cool. We recommend letting them cool for 10 minutes before adding the glaze (if using). If you want a recipe for the glaze, please click here.
Serve the cinnamon rolls warm, topped with a drizzle of icing glaze if desired. Enjoy!